Thursday, May 21, 2009

brain development in respects to education

I work with students who have developmental disorders such as autism. To be an effective educator for this student population, one must be well-informed in the thought process and learning style. Many of these students "think" in pictures and have extreme difficulty with language-based instruction and social interaction. To teach the "hidden curriculum" I have to use visual social stories. Their skills are often "splintered"-- Gaps between prerequiste skills. Knowing that they process visually, I use visual supports and the structured communication teaching to help fill in those gaps. They are very concrete and visual learners. There are many who fall on the autism spectrum-- Did you know that ADHD children are on this spectrum?
Here is a web site where Temple Grandin (an individual with high functioning autism) explains this visual though process model.
( http://www.grandin.com/inc/visual.thinking.html )
Here is a web site to further explain structured communication.( http://ex.susd.org/smcclure/structured_teaching_model.htm )

No comments:

Post a Comment